Longarm Education Event
April 17 and 18, 2020
Each class is $50.00 Sign up by March 21 and save 10%
April 17 Classes
Taking the Mystery Out of Longarm Quilting 9:00 AM - Noon
Curious about solving the mystery of Longarm quilting? Or are you looking for a chance to brush up your longarm skills? This
class demystifies longarm quilting by teaching all the basics!
We’ll start with machine and frame features and maintenance, then demonstrate loading a quilt. We’ll move on to picking the
perfect thread for your project, setting your tension, and choosing designs for your quilt. This class is full of great tips and tricks while exhibiting all the great features found in the Handi Quilter machine lineup.
• Longarm machine and frame features and maintenance
• How to set tension on a bobbin and your machine,
needles and thread
• How to load your quilt onto a frame
• Choosing the right thread and designs for your project
• A basic overview of free-motion techniques and ruler work
Building a Free-Motion Quilting Design Library
1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Building a library of free-motion quilting designs is fun – and it’s easier than you think! By exploring different designs - from simple blocks to an all-over design – you can create designs that can be used to complete any quilt. Learn how drawing a simple shape and then connecting it or just using a part of it can make finishing your quilts fast and fun.
• Develop a library of free-motion designs
• How to plan out a quilting path
• Exploring different designs based on a basic shape
• Adjusting your quilting path to create your own new designs
• Using a grid to layout your quilting design
April 18 Classes
Beyond Meandering: Other Ways to Fill Your Quilt
9:00 AM - Noon
Is meandering your go-to design? Are you ready to try something new? We’ll explore other basic background designs, including continuous curve, straight lines, and crosshatching. Learning how to quilt these designs continuously gives you a whole new collection of designs to use for backgrounds, fills and texture on all your quilting projects. From large to small scale, we’ll explore how these great designs can spice up your next quilt.
• Choosing background fills to accent your design
• Create extra texture with creative fills
• Try out patterns large to small patterns
• Use a grid to keep your pattern consistent
• Adjustable handlebars and HQ Micro Handles tips and tricks
Jumping into Improvisation Quilting 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Have you ever wanted to try quilting in an improvisational style? This is a great class that will explore using improve techniques in quilting. Looking at your fabric motifs, block shapes, and even using surprising thread colors can all be used to quilt in unexpected ways. We’ll stretch your design choices and give you great ideas for completing your next quilting project.
• Drawing simple designs and transferring to your quilt
• Using straight lines to create drama
• Add unexpected designs to create a more modern feel
• Use marked grids as a design foundation
• Draw inspiration from fabric prints